Radiators for Mustang Cooling Problems
- There are a number of options when considering the replacement of a Mustang radiator.ford mustang's steering wheel image by Lario Tus from Fotolia.com
To gain the most efficient cooling for any automotive vehicle, the proper radiator must be matched to it, or one that exceeds the manufacturer's specifications. Today, due to the use of high-performance parts designed to increase acceleration and horsepower, a stock radiator has a tougher time cooling a hotter-running engine. Aftermarket radiators that have higher capacities and use lighter, more efficient metals can be the answer to bringing down above-normal radiator temperatures.
Stock Dealership Radiators
- Ordering a stock radiator from the Ford dealership for your Mustang can be a benefit in many ways. An exact replacement radiator has no fitting problems, as far as its mounting brackets, hoses and transmission line lengths, and fan shroud compatibility. There are zero tolerance problems, since the Ford dealership replacement radiator has been designed to bolt right in with no modifications. It has also been manufactured to work in concert with the specific engine size of your Mustang, and hook up to any cooling fan motors and sensors. Ford dealerships can be found throughout the country.
Koyo High-Performance Radiator
- The Koyo brand radiator has an aircraft aluminum polished construction and is used in vehicles that have high cooling demands. Koyo radiators can provide up 20 to 30 percent more cooling capability than standard radiators. They are suitable for hotter-running vehicles, like turbocharged or supercharged cars and trucks, and even some nitrous oxide racers. The joints are heli-arc welded, with Nocolok-brazed cores that contain no epoxy. The radiator tanks and cores have specific design features that allow them to bolt up to any stock or high-performance vehicle, which allows a proper fit with no second guessing.
- The Mishimoto brand radiator has been designed as a specific replacement for the Ford Mustang, and exceeds OEM (original equipment manufacturer) specifications. Designed as an upgrade, the Mishimoto radiator has full cast aluminum construction and allows for a cooler, more efficient engine. The model MMRAD-MUS-94 has two core rows measuring 609 mm by 398 mm, with an oversized intake and outlet neck. The core thickness measures 52 mm, while the tank walls measure 2 mm. A cap comes with the purchase, and the warranty lasts for one year and covers all construction features.
Aftermarket Replacement Radiators
- The aftermarket replacement radiator designed to fit the 1987 Ford Mustang (for example) has an aluminum core and plastic side tanks. Much more affordable than high-performance or dealer radiators, it still carries a one-year warranty that covers all parts. It has a 1.25-inch inlet measurement and a 1.5-inch outlet diameter. The core measures 24.5 inches by 18 by 1.25 inches. The replacement has been designed for an automatic transmission, but standard transmission types can be found. Some adapters might have to be purchased for a perfect fit, depending upon the year and model. Most aftermarket replacement radiators can be located or ordered at a local auto parts store or online.