How to Change a Starter in a 1998 GMC Savana 1500 5.7L
- 1). Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Use a wrench to loosen the nut.
- 2). Place the wheel chocks behind the rear wheels and raise the vehicle with the automobile jack. Place the jack stand under the vehicle near the jacking point and raise it up to the frame.
- 3). Remove the heat shield and bracket from the starter using a ratchet and socket to remove the bolts. Label the electrical wires to the starter, noting the location of each one using the marker and masking tape. Disconnect the wires using a wrench to remove the nuts.
- 4). Remove the starter bolts with the socket and ratchet and pull the starter away from the engine.
- 5). Put the new starter in place and tighten the bolts with the socket and ratchet. Reconnect the wires and tighten the nuts with the wrench. Remove the jack stand and lower the vehicle back to the ground.
- 6). Reconnect the battery terminal and tighten the nut with a wrench.